Monday, February 4, 2013

Day One


We made it through day one! What a busy day! Ky wasn't feeling so well so our "lessons" didn't quite go according to plan. However, I have to say it was quite a successful day. We started out reading from a couple of the Shark books we had borrowed from the library. After reading about a few different types of sharks K wondered how long a Great White Shark (His favourite!) REALLY is. We got out the measuring tape and K measured out 25 feet in the living room. He then proceeded to measure his sisters and needed himself measured to compare to the shark's size. (Reading, Math)



Once he had had enough of measuring. K decided he wanted to write a story. He dictated his whole story to me as I wrote it down. He then illustrated each section of the story and sounded out the words for each page of his story. I helped him bind it together with string, then he decided his book needed a picture and title on the front. (Art, Writing)

(We went to the store to get a game)

A quick trip to the grocery store was a "real life" math lesson as K added together the prices of each item we picked up and kept a running tally for me. (Math)

As I made lunch K went up to his room and built a car with his Lego. He had placed a pair of wheels on the top of his car "just in case." K brought his car down and experimented with different ramp scenarios to see when the other set of wheels would be needed. (Science)

After lunch we played Shark Tooth Site Word Hunt. I had gone through some sight words with K and I wrote a few that he didn't know on paper shark teeth. I hid them around the room and as K found them he read them out to me (or I helped him with them.) After a few rounds of the game K was able to consistently read 5 out of the 10 words! (Reading, Gross Motor, Observation skills)


The most fun we had though was the indoor snowball fight. K really wanted to go out and build a fort to throw snowballs, but we don't have enough snow for that right now. So, instead K built a fort by flipping over the table and I found some Styrofoam balls that we were able to use as snowballs. K played for almost 2 hours with the balls. He threw them at me, T and Ky. Once his sisters had had enough he threw them off the walls and over the fridge, and when our friend P came to visit they took turns hiding them around the house and finding them. (Physics, Math, Observation skills)
 


It amazes me how many curriculum areas we managed to touch on in our first day. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!



KaTaKy's Mama

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Brieanna! What a marvelous Parent and Teacher you are. I look forward to following all of your successes.

    ReplyDelete